Books, oh joy.

/
3 Comments

"What a miracle is that of these small,flat,rigid squares of paper unfolds word after word, words that sing to you,comfort you or quite excite you."

For as long as I can remember, I've always been a fan of books. I'd say it's cause of the mix in my DNA or just being under the influence of a bookworm sister. Digging into the past, I remember Enid Blyton being my first favorite author. My sister had passed down her books to me, my favorite of all being The Malory Towers series. Those books had me hooked all night, with a wishful thinking to go to school like those of the girls in the book. It was then that I began reading all her books, whether it was The Famous Five or The Wishing Chair. When anyone questioned me about my favorite author, I'd give the immediate response, 'Enid Blyton'.

Growing up and being exposed to more and more books, I went through phases of different authors and genres. Whether it was at the school library, a friend's bookshelf or the books lined up at CROSSWORDS, books always caught my attention. Since school libraries were limited to books, I joined a private library along with my sister. With a separate section for kids, a wooden floored and cosy atmosphere, Oh how much I loved  that place and how with every book I'd pick would take me to a new journey, a new world along with swaying thoughts that interrupted each other differently. Maybe that's why they say I live in my own world.

As much I'd like to say I'm a reader, bizarre does it sound, I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books. I don't exactly know why that's so but I guess spells and wizards never really interested me as such. Although I'd been quite a Twilight fan. I'm over that phase now though, over super natural beings and reading about them. I've lately been more into realistic books. Fiction, but yet connected to the real world. However, I've always been a huge fan of fairytales and who hasn't? It isn't exactly believing in them but just the very notion of imagination and ideas that have been put into it and how one could actually draw deeper meanings within those fairytales.

As G.K Chesterton once wrote; "Fairytales do not tell us that dragons exist, but that these dragons can be killed."

I'm enchanted and enlightened by how the pages of a book can open your mind to so many different and varied perspectives and outlook of things. I've also had this really weird wish to meet up with one of my favorite authors and engage in a friendly conversation. Maybe cause I sometimes tend to get so attached and connected to the characters in a book, the magic of their existence yet remains even when the book is over.

There goes a saying by someone who's name I can't recollect; "You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you've lost a friend" I don't know how many of you'll have felt that way, but I've been through that more than just once or twice.

I'd come across this phrase over tumblr; '"Everyone's a reader, some just haven't found their favorite book yet." I think that's truly said. My best friend hated reading but, over my obsessive phase over my favorite book, 'Where Rainbows End' by Cecelia Ahern, she took the chance of reading this book and instantly fell in love with that 500 page paperpack and now I'm often astounded by her random visits to the bookstore.
I'd like to sum up my post with the lines from one of Cecelia Ahern's books itself;

"I believe in the magic of books. I believe that during certain periods in our life we are drawn to particular books, whether its strolling down the aisles of a bookshop with no idea whatsoever of what is that we want to read and suddenly finding the book staring right in the face, or a chance of meeting with a stranger or a friend who recommends a book we would never ordinarily reach for. Books have the ability to find their way into our lives."




You may also like

3 comments:

Prachi Vidhani said...

I really like the way you use words.
Even I was thinking of blogging about books or music ( But never did so hehe)
P.S : I even found the image pretty interesting. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you :D I know right, I LOVE the picture completely, I wonder how they got to photograph that with so much perfection.

And you should, I'd really love to read it :)

Prachi Vidhani said...

I would surely write about it and you will be the first one to be notified :)
Keep writing :D

Powered by Blogger.

FOLLOWERS/READERS